Wednesday, July 23, 2008

More Random Stuff...

· Everyone has an aftermarket stereo in their car.
· There are no windshields in Cameroon that are not cracked, even the expensive cars.
· Cameroonians can pile more people into a car or moto-taxi than any other country I’ve been to.
· Three lane roads don’t have an indicator as to which direction the center lane goes because it’s for both directions at the same time, it just depends on who’s there first.
· Train track crossings do not have guards or lights or anything to let you know there’s a train coming.
· People all walk along the highway. It’s to be expected I guess, but I’ve never been to a country where the best way to get somewhere is to walk on the shoulder of the biggest local highway.
· There’s basically no emission standard here, so despite being a relatively small city, there’s definitely days where there’s a haze of smog.
· I’ve had to explain the concept of volunteering more than three times now. I don’t think I’m doing a good job of it either, because people tend to look at me as though I’ve got some enormous bank account at home so I don’t need to get paid. Maybe it’s a cultural thing, but if you have a good idea of how to explain it, let me know.
· My dislike of bones has grown exponentially. I think this often happens when you get something like spaghetti and there’s fish and bones in it.
· There aren’t any multi-lane roads in the city. Basically all the streets look like they were sized for a neighborhood. In a city of 2M, this makes for perpetual traffic; which is nice.
· There are way too many luggage stores considering the disposable income of the people here. I can find a suitcase here easier than I can at O’Hare airport.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Joel: all of the items on your blog have been great. It is time to add to your blog.